|Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS LIQUID, WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
The vapour mixes well with air, explosive mixtures are easily formed.
Reacts slowly with calcium hypochlorite, silver oxide and ammonia, causing fire and explosion hazard. Reacts violently with strong oxidants such as nitric acid, silver nitrate, mercuric nitrate or magnesium perchlorate, causing fire and explosion hazard.
Occupational exposure limits
TLV: 1000 ppm; (as TWA) A4 (ACGIH 2000).
MAK: 500 ppm; 960 mg/m³; II,1 (1999).
MAK: class C,2 (1999).
|Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour and by ingestion.
A harmful contamination of the air will be reached rather slowly on evaporation of this substance at 20°C.
Effects of short-term exposure
The substance irritates the eyes. Inhalation of high concentration of vapour may cause irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract. The substance may cause effects on the central nervous system.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
The liquid defats the skin. The substance may have effects on the upper respiratory tract and central nervous system, resulting in irritation, headache, fatigue and lack of concentration. See Notes.