WHITE, DELIQUESCENT SOLID, WITH NO ODOUR.
The substance is a strong base, it reacts violently with acid and
is corrosive in moist air to metals such as zinc, aluminium, tin
and lead forming a combustible/explosive gas (hydrogen - see ICSC0001).
Reacts with ammonium salts
to produce ammonia and causing fire hazard. Attacks some forms of
plastics, rubber or coatings. Rapidly absorbs carbon dioxide and
water from air. Contact with moisture or water will generate heat
Occupational exposure limits
TLV: 2 mg/m³ (ceiling values) (ACGIH 2000. MAK not established.
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol
and by ingestion.
Evaporation at 20°C is negligible; a harmful concentration
of airborne particles can, however, be reached quickly.
Effects of short-term exposure
Corrosive. The substance is very corrosive to the eyes, the skin
and the respiratory tract. Corrosive on ingestion. Inhalation of
an aerosol of this substance may cause lung oedema (see Notes).
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
Repeated or prolonged contact with skin may cause dermatitis.